Professional ethics are personal and corporate rules that govern behavior with the context of a particular profession. As prescribed by UGC the professional ethics for teaching profession is as follows:
TEACHER AND THEIR RESPONSIBILITIES
Whosoever adopts teaching as a profession assumes the obligation to conduct the ideal of the profession. A teacher is constantly under the scrutiny of his students and society at large. Therefore every teacher should see that there is no incompatibility between his precepts and practice. The national ideals of education which have already been set forth and which he/she should seek to inculcate among the students must be his/ her own ideals. The profession further requires that the teachers should be calm, patient and communicative by temperament amiable in disposition.
- Adhere to responsible pattern of conduct and demeanor expected of them by community.
- Manage their private affairs in a manner consistent with dignity of profession.
- Seek to make professional growth continuous through study and research.
- Express free and frank opinion by participation in professional meetings, seminars, conferences towards contribution of knowledge.
- Maintain active membership of professional organizations and strive to improve education and profession through them.
- Perform their duties in form of teaching, tutorial, practical, seminar and research work conscientiously and with dedication.
- Cooperate and assist in carrying out functions relating to educational responsibilities of the college and the university such as assisting in appraising applications for admission, advising and counseling students as well as assisting the conduct of university and college examination including supervision , invigilation and evaluation.
- Participate in extension, co circular and extra circular activities including community service.
TEACHERS AND STUDENTS[dt_vc_list dividers=”false”]Teachers should:
- Respect the right and dignity of the student in expressing his/ her opinion.
- Deal justly and impartially, with students regardless of their religion, caste, political, economic, social and physical characteristics.
- Recognize the difference in aptitude and capabilities among students and strive to meet their individual needs.
- Encourage the students to improve their attainments, develop their personalities and at same time contribute to community welfare.
- Inculcate among students scientific outlook and respect for physical labor and ideals of democracy, patriotism and peace.
- Be affectionate to students and not behave in a vindictive manner towards any of them for any reason.
- Pay attention to only the attainment of the student in the assessment of merit.
- Make themselves available to the students even beyond their class hours and help and guide the students without any remuneration or reward.
- Aid students to develop an understanding of our national heritage and national goals.
- Refrain from inciting students against other students, colleagues or administration.
TEACHERS AND COLLEAGUES[dt_vc_list dividers=”false”]
- Treat other members of the profession in the same manner as they themselves wish to be treated.
- Speak respectfully to other teachers.
- Refrain from lodging unsubstantiated allegations against colleagues to higher authorities.
- Refrain from allowing considerations of caste, creed, religion, race or sex in their professional endeavor.
TEACHERS AND AUTHORITIES[dt_vc_list dividers=”false”]
- Discharge their professional responsibilities according to existing rules and adhere to procedures and methods consistent with their profession in initiating steps through their own institutional bodies and professional organizations for change of any such rule detrimental to the professional interest.
- Refrain from taking any other employment and commitment including private tuitions and coaching classes which are likely to interfere with their professional responsibilities.
- Cooperate in formation of policies of the institution by accepting various offices and discharge responsibilities which offices may demand.
- Cooperate through their organization in the formulation of policies of other institutions and accept offices.
- Cooperate with authorities in betterment of the institution keeping in view the interest and in conformity with dignity of profession.
- Should adhere to conditions of contract.
- Give and expect due notice before change of position is made.
- Refrain from availing themselves of leave except on unavoidable grounds and as far as practicable with prior intimation keeping in view their particular responsibility for completion of academic schedule.
TEACHERS AND NON TEACHING STAFF[dt_vc_list dividers=”false”]
- Teachers should treat non teaching staff as colleagues and equal partners in a cooperative undertaking within every educational institution.
- Teachers should help in the function of joint staff councils covering both teachers and non teaching staff.
TEACHERS AND GUARDIAN[dt_vc_list dividers=”false”]
- Try to see through teachers bodies and organizations that institutions maintain contact with guardians, their students, send reports of their performances to the guardians whenever necessary and meet the guardians in meeting convened for the purpose of mutual exchange of ideas and for the benefit of institution.
TEACHERS AND SOCIETY[dt_vc_list dividers=”false”]
- Recognize that education is a public service and strive to keep the public informed of the educational programmes which are being provided.
- Work to improve education in the community and strengthen the community moral and intellectual life.
- Be aware of social problem and take part in such activities as would be conducive to progress of society and country as a whole.
- Perform duties of citizenship, participate in community activities and shoulder responsibility of public offices.
- Refrain from taking part in or subscribing to or assisting in any way activities which tend to promote feeling of hatred or enmity among different communities, religions or linguistic groups but actively work for national integration.